Sunday, July 11, 2010

Staying Organized

How do you all store your makeup? I used to have a nifty set up of small drawered containers that I set up on a folding shelf, but just don't have the room for it since I moved out of my loft (tears) Any suggestions? Now I have random beauty supplies all over and in diffrent bags, baskets and containers. I need to get organized and STAT! Especially if I keep adding to my collection.

I think it is also time to go through my stuff and throw out anything that is old.
The shelf life of makeup depends on the product, but here are some good rules to live by:

Powders: 2 years
Creams: 1 year
Mascara: 3 months
Eyeliner: 3 months
Nail Polish: I year
Lip Gloss: 18 months
Lipstick: 2 years

If you can't remember when you bought it or the last time you used it--THROW IT OUT!
And obviously if it smells funky or the texture has changed--THROW IT OUT!

2 comments:

BB said...

I store my make-up in some drawers, but I store my every day things in it's own little bag.

Also, on your point about how long to keep make-up, general rules apply to everything BUT mascara. I'm posting a blog soon about how mascara is actually the cleanest make-up around and that the 3 months rule is in fact a ploy by big department stores. Of course, if you find a mascara that's been in a little corner under a bed for say 3 years then it's not going to be hygienic...

Loving the blog! xoxo

Dani said...

Thanks for the shelf life of the make-up. Other than the 3 month rule for Eyeliner and Mascara I didn't know what they were... granted I keep my mascara longer because in a 3 month time I might wear it well 3 times and felt that I wasted the money so I keep it for longer- every time thinking 'it's past 3 months and I'm going to get an eye infection."
Yep I like living on the edge :)